Vegan Tortilla Soup
In honor of national tortilla chip day I made a vegan tortilla soup for my family. This is one of my favorite recipes because it is seriously so simple to makes and its a favorite for my kids. Whole grain tortillas are high in complex carbohydrates and fiber, which provide energy and support healthy digestion. Adequate fiber intake also helps control cholesterol levels and reduces your risk of heart disease. Tortillas are a good source of B vitamins, which support a healthy nervous system.
Also, did I mention that tortillas are tasty? Check out my recipe for tortilla soup below!
- 1 Tbl Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion large diced
- 1 Garlic Clove minced
- 1/4 Red Pepper large diced
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder or more to taste
- 1 C Chunky Salsa mild, medium or hot
- 16 oz . Vegetable Stock I prefer low sodium
- 15 oz . Black Beans low sodium
- 1 C Corn fresh or frozen
- Salt to taste
- Vegan Sour Cream – OR Canned Coconut Milk – OR Homemade Cashew Cream
- Fresh Parsley or Cilantro
- Tortilla Strips
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, add the oil and onion.
- Once the onions begin to soften, add the garlic, red pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add chili powder, salsa and vegetable stock.
- Bring the soup to a low boil, then add the black beans and corn.
- Reduce the heat and cover…leaving the lid just slightly ajar.
- Simmer for at 30-60 minutes. The soup should be slightly thickened.
- Top with vegan sour cream (you could also use canned coconut milk or homemade cashew cream), parsley and of course, tortilla strips.
- This recipe serves 6 cups or about 4 generous bowls.