Stuffed-Sweet Potatoes with Quinoa
January always marks the beginning of a fresh start and an opportunity to do great things in the starting new year. This might mean eating healthier and cutting back on sweets and junk food. As you know, in winter most of us tend to reach for a comforting and warm meal. An oven baked sweet potato provides a nice balance of comfort food and healthy too.
Sweet potatoes have several health benefits. If you are diabetic or at risk for developing diabetes, sweet potatoes are a great choice due to their low to medium glycemic index. According to University Health News, just one medium baked sweet potato with skin contains 103 calories and 3.8 grams of fiber. This delicious veggie will give you more than 400 percent of your daily vitamin A requirement. Sweet potato is also high in vitamins C and B, and potassium.
Next time you are trying to figure out what to cook for dinner for your family consider this sweet potato recipe and take a break from regular baked potatoes. It doesn’t require a lot of time to make and super easy to do.
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups of baby spinach
- ½ cup of chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup of chopped walnuts/pecans
- ½ cup of chopped cucumber
- Your personal choice of a vegan sauce if you wish to add a sauce to this dish.
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
- Wash and dry your sweet potatoes. Using a fork, poke the potato a few times all around.
- Place your potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for about 50 minutes to an hour.
- While that’s baking. Take your quinoa and cook as directed in the instructions.
- Chop into small pieces your bell pepper, cucumber, pecan/walnuts.
- Grab your spinach and sauté for about 3 minutes. Set on the side.
- Once the quinoa is ready, mix together with your chopped veggies and nuts and prepared spinach.
- When the sweet potatoes are done baking, cut lengthwise along the top and push ends to prop open. Next spoon quinoa mixture into the sweet potato and enjoy!
- Optional: Drizzle your favorite vegan sauce on top.