In the summer, I enjoy going to farmer’s markets and picking fruits and veggies from my own garden. Winter can be trickier, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the foods that are in season. Hearty veggies like brusselsprout and sweet potatoes are common during this time of year. Legumes like lentil make a great addition to your family’s dinner table.
According to SFGate.com, lentils are a great source of dietary fiber, lean protein, folate and iron. Just a single cup of lentils provides 16 grams of dietary fiber, which equates to 63 percent of the daily-recommended intake for a 2,000-calorie diet. They also provide 18 grams of protein per cup and on top of that lentils are a budget friendly choice.
This lentil cake recipe is great to make on a Sunday afternoon with your family. The kids can get involved with mixing the ingredients into mixing bowl and have fun making their own lentil cakes.
- I cup of uncooked brown lentils
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1 cup of old fashioned rolled oats that have been grinded down
- Half of a large yellow bell pepper
- Half of a large red bell pepper
- Half a sweet onion
- 1 cup of fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 3 teaspoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 tablespoons of Grape seed oil for cooking
- Cook Lentils as directed on box/bag
- Using a coffee grinder, grind down to a fine powder your raw cashews and rolled oats. Set aside.
- Chop your onion and garlic into small pieces and sauté on a pan on medium heat for a few minutes. Set to the side.
- Chop your bell peppers into small pieces as well and set to the side.
- Once your lentils are cooked place them in a mixing bowl to cool. Once they’ve cooled down, take a fork and mash the lentils.
- Now add in your onions and garlic to the lentils and mix.
- Add in your cashew and oat mixture and nutritional yeast.
- Give that a mix and throw in your bell peppers. Rough chop your flat leaf parsley and add it to the mixture.
- Add in your olive oil and salt and pepper to your liking.
- If the mixture paste is too wet you can always add in more oat flour.
- Now make small discs or cakes and set to the side.
- Place a large pan on high heat and add in half of your grapeseed oil. Gently slide your lentil cakes in the pan. Add more oil to the pan to cook the patties as needed.
- Serve warm with a side salad and add in your favorite vegan dipping sauce.